Monday, August 12, 2013

San Francisco Day 3


Foggy and cool morning this morning.  Headed off on the hop on hop off bus and got off at Chinatown to have a look around.  Annamaree did some shopping and then we caught another bus to Fisherman's wharf as I wanted to go to Lombard Street which is a very crooked street.  I queued up to buy tickets for the cable car that goes to the top end of Lombard Street.  Then I had to join the even longer queue to get onto the cable car.  It was about an hour wait and the wind coming off the waters in the bay was freezing.  I had to buy a fleecy top from a street vendor to stay warm.  I looked a treat today as I was wearing my floppy hat to keep the sun off my sunburn and wrapped my new fleecy around my neck.  Thank goodness nobody knows me here!

Our turn finally came and we got on the cable car.  The street we went up was so steep I didn't think we would make it.  We got off at Lombard Street.  There were amazing views of the city and the bay and the crooked street is amazing.  Cars can go down it slowly in single file as it is like a zig zag and pedestrians can walk down either side.  I walked down it (lots of steps) while Annamaree stayed at the top, took lots of photos, and walked back up.  People live in houses on both sides and they must get sick of the number of people and cars going up and down.  It was the highlight of my day.

We caught the cable car back to Fisherman's Wharf and had some lunch.  Then we went to Pier 39 to see the sea lions.  This is a colony that just turned up about 30 years ago and they have built docks for them which they lie on and fight and snooze.  A lot of fun to watch but very stinky!

We were then hoping to do the bus tour that goes to the Golden Gate Park but the hop on hop off bus didn't come for an hour (they are supposed to come every 20 minutes) so we didn't make that so decided to have a look at the Ferry Terminal instead.  There were markets outside and then inside were lots of shops and eating places.  I bought a little china salt box and spoon and then had fish and chips for tea.  The seafood is so fresh here as it is delivered daily.

We then caught a cab back to Union Square and went to the Westin St Francis Hotel and caught the external glass lift to the 32nd floor.  Amazing views although the fog was rolling in so some of the buildings were partially obscured.  We then had a coffee and fruit tart in their coffee shop.  We thought it would be terribly expensive but was only $12 for the two of us for 2 coffees and two tarts.  The two older ladies at the next table were very well coifed and dripping in jewels.  They must have wondered who let the two old ducks next to them in!  We then walked the 2.5 blocks back to our hotel.

Early start tomorrow as we are going to Yosemite National Park for the day.

Cheers 
Roz

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely loving this blog makes me feel like I am on the trip, Roz has described everything so well I can picture everything she is doing and seeing. Shame I can't actually taste all the wonderful food.

    ReplyDelete